We understand there are a LOT of poetry book contests out there and Gunpowder Press is a young press (founded in 2014). This is our 3rd year hosting the Barry Spacks Poetry Prize. We are very proud of what we’ve accomplished with our poets so far, so here are a few reasons to submit your work to the Spacks Prize:
- Unlike some prizes with hundreds of entrants, the Spacks Prize is relatively small, with about 150 entries. Like those odds!
- Of these, about 10 excellent manuscripts will be selected as official Finalists and forwarded to our final judge, Jane Hirshfield.
- Last year, we published the winning manuscript and one of the finalists, so of the fewer than 150 manuscripts submitted, two have been published (Burning Down Disneyland and Unfinished City).
- Gunpowder books are released in months, not years. Winners are published promptly.
- Two poems from our 2015 winning book, Instead of Sadness, have been featured on Writer’s Almanac. That’s visibility!
- Our first winner, Catherine Abbey Hodges, is publishing her second book with us (Raft of Days) later this summer. We’ll take that as a vote of confidence.
- If you choose, you can get a copy of the winning book for just $5 more. A hundred copies of the winning book, Burning Down Disneyland, were mailed out to other poets from the first printing.
We hope you’ll consider submitting!